2015/16 was when we celebrated our 60th Anniversary
From the log book of Gerry Woodburn, the first Scout Master in Stapenhill.
was decided during 1955 to attempt to form a Group at Stapenhill, as it
was felt there was a great demand. The vicar of St Peter’s Church was
contacted but turned down the idea and so the Education Authority was
asked for assistance. They agreed to allow the group to use Hill Street
School two evenings each week, free of charge.
30th April 1956
Cub Section formed with 12 boys with Miss R Oliver as Akela and Martin Potter as Cub Instructor.
16th May 1956
It was proposed to form the Scout Section on this date and a display
was laid on by the 14th Burton but alas! Only the Scout Master and
Group Scout Master of the proposed troop were there to witness it. Not
one Stapenhill Boy turned up.
21st May 1956
After the failure to attract any boys, consultations were held and word
got to the Burton Daily Mail, that evening two paragraphs appeared
relating the story.
23rd May 1956
The result of this publicity was amazing as 28 boys were at Hill Street
School to greet the Group Scout Master, Mr G.Curran, and Scout Master
Mr. G.A. Woodburn. 22 boys were enrolled as 6 of the 28 were only of
Cub age, and they were told to go to the pack meetings on Mondays.
Today, the group
still offers a wide range of traditional Scouting activities and is
thriving and growing. The group is also forward looking and is
currently planning the construction of a new building, which will
enable them to offer a better experience for their members, the
community and visiting Scouts.
20th 2015, the group held a celebratory open afternoon,
open to current members, past members, and anyone who wanted
to come and see what Scouting in Stapenhill is all about.
We held a competition within the group for the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts
to design the anniversary badge and this was won by Dylan Jackson.
If you have any questions or need any assistance with this website
please email email@example.com